Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/6/14

Potato ALCHEMY

Each new group I’ve joined and every class I’ve taught or taken undergoes a kind of alchemy as the previously unconnected members interact and form a new unity. GOLD!

I relish the alone time I have to create but I do need others, and this One Potato Ten group is an important source of community for me. My favorite part of our recent five-day retreat was the Saturday afternoon workshop session. Each of us read a work-in-progress or solicited help brainstorming ideas for a new project. Such original voices and a wide array of ideas from my fellow writers! I was further amazed by the sensitivity and creativity of all the supporting listeners.

Here are some of the reasons I need community as a writer:


Accountability: I am motivated knowing that I will be regularly reading for a writers group or posting on the blog. I don’t want to let others down.


Listeners: I need to hear how my work sounds as I read aloud or “e-hear” as I submit my posts to the blog


Continuity: In my writers group we know the history and development of each other’s work. The long virtual relationship for One Potato Ten made our first group meeting feel like a reunion. We have been invested in one another for four years.


Honest criticism: I want to get better at writing; I want to sharpen and expand my ideas. A writing community can analyze “the work” and offer ways to improve it.


Exchange of info about the industry: We shared lots of insider tips—agents, advances, contracts, and more!


Multiple perspectives: We each bring something different to the table. Vive la différence! We benefit from shared knowledge and experience. Also, seeing something from different vantage points can help me clarify my own POV.


Yield: Since joining writers groups and the blog I have published more work. Now have the support I need.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Potato Alchemy indeed! All mashed together--I agree Christy, that Saturday workshopping of writing was deep and amazing.

Wonderful post!

onepotatotenblogspot.com said...

Excellent, Papita Christy.

john said...

Christy, that's a great list. If alchemy had an M, you could have added marmalade. Another one of those delicious items in the group, straight from your yard.

Lauren said...

Christy, I want to order more marmalade from you! And have you considered a book about backyard marmalade? Yum!

Christy said...

Wow, I'm definitely in the right group if I have people who actually like marmalade. Thanks for the idea, Lauren. Hmmm, maybe I should whip up another batch and ship some out.

Edie Hemingway said...

I am loving the marmalade, too, Christy, as well as all the reasons a writer needs community! Thanks for this list.

Stephanie said...

Such a great post!

David LaRochelle said...

Our Saturday critique session was a highlight for me as well. It instantly felt like a safe and supportive place to share work. I, too, was impressed with the wonderful writing that others shared, and also the insightful, thoughtful comments everyone had. The group's encouragement of my story gave me needed motivation to get it ready to send out to a publisher, and for that I am very grateful.

mark said...

I think you captured the spirit and energy of our retreat perfectly, Christy. It was so much fun getting to know you, and I look forward to hearing about/seeing/reading your future works!