Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/2/13

A Summer for the Books...

This summer was so busy for me, I don't know where to start. So I'll start with Chicago and ALA. This was only the second time a publisher has taken me to ALA ( the first was also in Chicago, but back in 1999) and I had such a fabulous time. I got to attend the YA Coffee Klatch where I speed dated with librarians, and then I headed over to where Christy Hale was signing books and also got to see John Coy. Here's the photographic proof of three potatoes in one spot at the same time:
Then I had to head over to the Macmillan Kids booth where I signed galleys of The Fallout for over an hour. ( The line was sooo long, which made me very happy.)
 Then I headed to Anderson's in Naperville where I was on a panel with Sara Zarr, Matthew Quick, and Marcus Sedgwick, among others, before heading to a dinner with a lot of fabulous librarians and other Macmillan authors like Francesca Lia Block, who is one of my YA heroes. A couple weeks later, I headed to Irving , Texas for a couple of library events. Texas librarians are the best and even had some awesome book refreshments:
 
 
Those were the fun things of the summer, because we also moved from Oregon to Minnesota. We had to take both cars, which meant I had to drive the entire way, although my husband was kind and took our yowling cat in his vehicle. I'm looking forward to hearing about all the others Spuds' summers...

6 comments:

Christy said...

What wonderful celebrations of your work, Stephanie. Congratulations on the terrific receptions. What amazing refreshments!

Good luck settling in to your new life and carving out writing time.

Stephanie said...

And I hope you are doing well with the empty nest situation! I was sad for a good month, I think, before I got used to it...

Edie Hemingway said...

Sounds like a very successful summer as far as your books go, Stephanie. I know moves can be difficult, but also exciting.

Lauren said...

What a full summer Stephanie-- experiencing the extremes of both author life and family life-- !
I love the picture of you, John and Christy at ALA- beautiful Spuds! And congratulations on your new book and all of its fantastic reception so far!

David LaRochelle said...

Whew! You are a whirlwind of activity, Stephanie! And yes, hearty congratulations on all the recognition your books are getting! I hope you are able to savor the excitement, and are not too exhausted!

mark said...

A busy summer, but very satisfying, I imagine. I love the promotional stuff for your books! Moves are never easy, but it sounds like you'll thrive in your new surroundings. A fresh setting for fresh ideas!!