Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/3/13

A Pivotal Summer

The spring ended with news of a Horn Book Honor award for Dreaming Up, my daughter turning eighteen and graduating from high school—so much to celebrate!

In June I traveled to Chicago for ALA. I signed books for both Readers to Eaters and Lee & Low and got a little face time with Spud John and Spud Stephanie as well as many colleagues from my in-house publishing days. I design books for NorthSouth and got the opportunity to meet the publisher and other staff who were attending ALA from Switzerland. What did they want to do in Chicago? Listen to jazz! It was fun go out to the Green Mill.


Another highlight of the summer was going to Outside Lands, an annual three-day music festival in Golden Gate Park. My husband and I found tickets for Friday-only so we could see Paul McCartney. There were thousands of people in attendance. Look how close I am to my favorite Beatle! He sang many hit Beatle tunes and EVERYONE sang along. Each song transported me to a different moment in my history.


I had a hard time focusing on my creative work this summer, or perhaps I should say my focus was almost completely on my best work ever—my daughter! I sewed, shopped, organized, and packed, while privately shedding many tears. I am such an anticipator, the upside of which is that when we finally said goodbye in Pittsburgh at Carnegie Mellon, a good amount of grieving was behind me. I am ready to fill my newly emptied nest with creative projects.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Congratulations on so many levels Christy! Your daughter and books received much care and notice this summer. And lots of musical accompaniment along the way.

I look forward to the creative projects hatched in that empty nest of yours!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great summer! Congrats on all the accolades, so well deserved:)

Edie Hemingway said...

It sounds like a wonderful summer, in spite of becoming an empty nester! Wishing you all the best with new and old creative projects!

David LaRochelle said...

Your Horn Book Honor is certainly well-deserved, Christy. It's an amazing book. Glad you had such a good summer.

mark said...

Congratulations, Christy! Your creative life and family life sound truly satisfying. We saw McCartney this summer also, when he visited Seattle. What a blast! I kept thinking, "There's Paul McCartney, one of the Beatles, on the stage in front of me!" I'm glad you also got to share the magic....