Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/6/12

Whidbey MFA in August



Don't look for me here. I am the bad photographer. But the MFA at Whidbey in August was fun!

Not just because of the BRAVE immersion into the cold water but because of the BRAVE  immersion into the program. You see here faculty and students together. We are one body. 

I must highlight my dear friend and visiting faculty Susan Fletcher (not in picture) whose audience is still asking for more. She spoke about emotions. Hidden emotions. Do we want to go there? Susan says that if you don't, you must. OUCH!  

David Shannon (not in picture) is another favorite. He is funny, honest, down to earth.

Both of these authors and many others are giving back.

Thanks yo them.   

8 comments:

Christy said...

I want to find out more about this MFA program. Can you and Stephanie (and Mark?) tell us anything about the Whidbey program?

Edie Hemingway said...

I, too, think this sounds like a wonderful and very personal program. So glad you are a part of it, Carmen!

mark said...

Carmen, I forgot all about the August residency right down the street from our house (we were gone all but one day of the month, travelling, so meeting up wouldn't have worked anyway). Looks like a fun crowd! Maybe we can finally meet at the next one in January....

Christy, the Whidbey program is a low residency MFA program organized/run by artists rather than being affiliated with any particular "school." I believe they are the first such program to be accredited in the country, perhaps the only one. You can check their website and get a pretty good feel for the program. One of the great things about living on Whidbey Island is the vibrant art community -- things are happening year round!!

Christy said...

Thanks, Mark. I will check it out. Eventually I want to do one of those MFA low residency programs, but perhaps not the same time my daughter is starting college.

Christy said...

Thanks, Mark. I will check it out. Eventually I want to do one of those MFA low residency programs, but perhaps not the same time my daughter is starting college.

Stephanie said...

I miss Whidbey! But I'm so glad you are enjoying it:)

Lauren said...

Like Christy, I have often contemplated taking one of the low-residency MFA programs-- we even have a lovely one here in the Twin Cities-- the Hamline MFA in children's Literature-- but if I ever do-- I think Whidbey MFA would be my choice! So beautiful! Carmen, I am glad you are a part of it. I love the photo-- and Mark, I cannot believe you live there!

David LaRochelle said...

What a great photo that captures summer. The people DO look like a family. You make the program sound very inviting, Carmen, and I agree with Lauren, Whidbey Island would be a wonderful place to be part of a writing/illustrating program like this.