Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/20/12

A Call for Funny YA

In January I will be teaching Directed Reading at the Whidbey Island MFA. Last year I taught crossovers YA<-->Adult, but my students got very depressed. So, I decided to teach funny YAs next.


John Green's writing is always excellent, and The Fault in Our Stars has some funny scenes. Still, both main characters have cancer and their situation made me cry.

I've read Flip by Martyn Bedford and Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber.  I have ten others in my list. However, if you have written a funny YA, please, let me know. 
  

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I love John Green's writing. And I have read Flip. One of my favorite humorous YA is our own David LaRochelle's "Absolutely Positively Not".

I wish I could take your class Carmen!

David LaRochelle said...

You are very kind, Lauren. One of the proudest moments of my writing career was when "Absolutely Positively Not" won the Sid Fleischman Humor Award...presented by Sid Fleischman himself. What a class act that man was. And his son Paul is just the same.

A humorous YA that I read last year and really, really liked, Carmen, was DAIRY QUEEN by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. It's the coming of age story of a teenage girl growing up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. Wonderful voice. I didn't realize till now there were two sequels, so I will definitely add them to my reading pile.

Stephanie said...

Carmen, I wonder what that says about a lot of current YA, that the readers end up depressed? Maybe we need more humorous YA...

Christy said...

One of the English teachers at the local high school mentioned she is trying to develop an elective on Comedy in Literature. Comedy certainly has a long and wonderful history. She was also responding to the abundance of very depressing YA books. I would love to know your final list of funny YAs.

mark said...

Great idea, Carmen. I have read a lot of articles in the last couple years about the value of humor in children's literature and how it has not always been appreciated. Glad to see you are going to change that in January!