Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/2/12

New sights for a new view...

Traveling is part of my job, which I love. Although this year I've done more Skype visits than ever before, I still get to do a lot of "real" school visits. Last February I went to Brazil, where I spoke at four international schools in four different cities, so my travel buddy Karen and I got to see four very distinct areas. Brasilia was a fascinating city, one that was actually planned and built after the automobile was invented, so it has a seriously efficient road system.
We arrived on a Sunday, and our host was the elementary school principal. She drove us around to look at the sites of the capital city, including the inside of the national cathedral,which had these huge angels hanging down from the ceiling.


Then she took us to a massive park where there was a lovely fountain.


At the same park, there was a Sunday festival, which meant people selling their art and wares.



There were snacks and drinks to purchase as well, and Karen and I shared a chilled Agua de Coco...



And of course, I did have some work to do the next day...

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I love the angels flying through the cathedral-- and that fountain is huge! Is your travel buddy Karen also an author? I have never been to Brazil, but hopefully someday-- what a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Nope, just my neighbor, friend, and walking buddy. I pretty much had a list of people who were willing to go along:)

Edie Hemingway said...

How great to have a friend go with you! And how did you manage to speak to the students, or were they in English-speaking schools? Sounds like so much fun!

Stephanie said...

They were American or International schools, so they all speak English. Most of the students and teachers are American.

john said...

Great pictures, Stephanie. Brazil is on my list of places I'd love to go and your images show why.

Christy said...

What a wonderful, opportunity, and how fun to share with your local walking friend. Are you enjoying the Skype visits, too?

Stephanie said...

Christy, yes. They are all with middle and high schools, and they are all Q and A about The Compound, which the students have all read. So it's very fun. I don't think I'd like an actual presentation over Skype as much and haven't ever done one of those.

David LaRochelle said...

What great photos! And what a smart idea to bring a friend along!