Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/14/12

To Market or Not to Market?

That is the question.

Like many of my fellow Potatoes on this blog, I am an introvert. Most comfortable in my studio, I could easily spend my days painting and writing with a few forays into the outer world, mostly to buy groceries, paint sets at Circus, or take a walk around a lake. (I live in Minneapolis, city of lakes!) But when a book comes out, it needs to be celebrated! Before becoming a children's book author/illustrator, I showed my art in galleries. So every year or so, I would complete a body of work and exhibit in a gallery. There was always an opening with wine and cheese, and lots of conversations. I depended on the gallery to get the word out to art critics and the press. Now that I am in publishing, I depend on the publisher to do their part in marketing, but also know I need to do my part as well. Celebration is a word I like to keep in mind when marketing my newest book. I have worked long and hard on it-- in fact painting the 17 + illustrations for a book is very much like finishing a body of work for a gallery-- and a picture book is a lot cheaper than a painting in a gallery, so what a deal to celebrate! So my answer to the question in the title of this blog is: Market and celebrate!

Years ago when I first created a website for my books, I panicked and fretted for weeks. I wasn't sure I wanted the world to know so much about me. Now I not only have a website, but a personal blog as well as this blog!   When I finish a book and am waiting for the proofs to come, it is actually very satisfying to update my website, and begin talking about the book on my blogs and on facebook. I also send an announcement about it in an email to all my friends and contacts. I am lucky to live in the Twin Cities, home of two very strong Independent Children's Book Stores: The Red Balloon Bookshop and Wild Rumpus. When I have a new book coming out, I call these bookstores and let them know. The Red Balloon hosts wonderful publication parties complete with cake! I try to come up with an activity to make the party both a reading and an activity party. My favorite. I also paint the window with an image from the book, which is a great way to advertise.

Once the initial celebrations are over, I try to keep the book alive by visiting schools, conferences, and children's literature festivals. But soon, I begin to itch to return to my studio. It is where I do my best work and feel most at home. If I have done my marketing well, my book will have a long life of its own.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think you do a great job at marketing your books:)

Lauren said...

Thanks Stephanie. What I would like to add are book trailers. I think those would be so interesting and fun to make.

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren,
I wish I lived close enough to come celebrate the launch of your next book at one of those great independent children's book stores! And a book trailer is a great idea.

Lauren said...

Edie, I wish you lived closer too!

john said...

Lauren, thanks for sharing those window pictures. It is one of my favorite reasons to visit the Red Balloon to see what amazing things you and other talented illustrators have created.

David LaRochelle said...

You're right, Lauren, we ARE lucky to have two wonderful supportive independent bookstores so close by. And like John, I love seeing the artwork that is created for the Red Balloon's windows.

Lauren said...

Thanks John and David! I have more windows coming, including one for Circus at the Red Balloon this summer-- the Wild West Window!

Christy said...

You've got a great perspective, great work, and great community support. I think in John's lingo, you probably are set to keep batting home runs! I too, love those window painting pictures.