Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/12/11

Sleeping Out and the Gumby and Pokey Willies

As I child I was bashful. I liked adventures as long as they were in my neighborhood, as long as when the day ended I would be home, snuggled in my own bed. Once when I was small, my father's best friend had a daughter just my age. She was kind. Her name was Claire. Her mother was a Cajun woman and as warm as she could be. My father trusted her father like a brother. Claire invited me to spend the night out at her house. Everyone encouraged me. I wanted to go and play with Claire and her family, so off I went.

The day was going wonderfully, but as night fell and I took my bath, fear tiptoed in. I wondered what might be in the closet at the top of the cabinet: A monster surely. I felt uncomfortable and homesick and began to cry.

Claire's mom tuned to my feelings. I told her I wanted to go home and she called my parents. My dad drove over and scooped me up. I also remember being a little afraid of Gumby and Pokey. I don't know why as I liked the television show and I had the little rubber Gumby and Pokey dolls. I had a nightmare once that they were chasing me and I snuggled into my parents bed for safety and comfort. After that dream, I'd make sure to put them inside a shoebox in my bedroom closet.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aw, that's so sweet. I loved Gumby, but looking back, the show was kind of creepy the way they moved around and stuff...

Christy said...

Yes, I also watched Gumby and Pokey--some of the first claymation, I guess. The cartoon wove together fantasy and reality in a way that dreams and nightmares do. I can see why it scared you.

Edie Hemingway said...

Somehow bedroom closets are good places to hide those scary things. I always went to sleep facing my closed closet doors, so I could confront anything that might come out.

And, Betsy, glad you had such comforting parents!

Lauren said...

Yep, I remember the fears of sleeping over at a friend's house. My family moved so much when we were growing up, I had this secret fear that they would move away while I was at a sleepover. Reading all of these fears makes me feel so compassionate to all children, as we see- fear is a large part of childhood.

I loved Gumby and Pokey growing up, even slept with them! But I can see where they might cause nightmares too-- so glad you had your parent's bed to find safety and comfort in!

Mark said...

Betsy, I'll bet you never appreciated your dad more than that night!!

David LaRochelle said...

Gumby and Pokey were a bit surreal. And their enemies, the Blockheads? What bullies!

I, too, am glad that the adults in your life recognized and respected your feelings that night. Like Lauren said, fear is a huge part of childhood.