Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/27/11

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry


Tamales are the traditional Christmas food of Latin countries. They are very labor intensive to make, so usually are only made for special occasions. My daughter and I took a tamale-making class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking a couple of years ago. This was an all day project for us on Christmas Eve. I made a killer pico de gallo, too.



My daughter is pictured here in her "drinking glasses" a well engineered straw that travels quite a distance! Santa brought this for her stocking.

5 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

Yum! Those tamales make me hungry! It sounds like a great way to make a Christmas memory for you and your daughter.

Lauren said...

The tamales look delicious and there is nothing better than a good pico de gallo! Our neighbors spend Christmas day making tamales too, so I know the kind of work that goes into them-- but "fun" work! I love the glasses! I remember having a pair like that in my stocking years ago. Fun!

Mark said...

Christy, I love that you and your daughter took a class and then used your new skills to work together making tamales on Christmas Eve. What a cool way to bond with her and to make Christmas special. Cool glasses, too -- I've never seen that particular design before, I always thought those "headgear" straw devices involved two beer cans above the ears. Nice to see they can also be used for milk!!

Stephanie said...

Those tamales look amazing. And I don't think I've ever had a tamale, but I would try one of those. And Kate is adorable.( I'm with Mark, I usually see beer traveling through the straw...)

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
I have never had tamales, but I sure would love to try one of yours! And what a great straw. I see you in your daughter's face. :>)