Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/1/11

Foraging vs reaping


This round we're posting about the conditions that contribute to our best work. Like Stephanie, who wrote about distractions and procrastination, I first want to focus on what prevents me from working at my highest level.

As a self-employed creator, I need to hunt and gather for my livelihood. When I was offered my first book to illustrate, back in the early 90s, I worked as an art director for Four Winds Press. It was a part time position. I worked three days in-house, leaving me the other four days to create. This was an ideal situation for me. When Simon & Schuster bought out Macmillan, there was no longer an option to work part time. I had a fledgling illustration career started—this was the whole reason I'd gone to NYC; I knew a full time art director position would not allow sufficient left-over time for my own work. I have been freelance art directing/designing and illustrating/writing since the mid-90s. When I have a lot of work lined up into the future (stockpiles from hunting) is when I'm most productive; only then am I not agitated about finances. When work is scarce, I need to devote more energy to foraging, less to reaping. Foraging seems to scatter my energies. I try to cover too much ground. I'm considering part time employment again to address this issue. If I can be still enough, centered in one place, then I can harvest.

Playing out this analogy, it also helps to have great farmers—trusted writers groups, an editor who knows how to fertilize what is best and weed out the worst, makes for the heartiest crop. My best work comes when I have this community of support.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

From Hunting & Gathering to Farming~ you are truly an evolved author/artist! It seems the best conditions conducive to best work are one's with no financial anxieties. I hope you find the necessary balance as often as possible for your best work as I and the world benefits greatly from it!

betsy woods said...

Christy, this is genius, so well put. I read your words, and felt them to my core as they reflected so much of my experience. The balance is tender one. Thank you.

Christy said...

Yes, it's just getting harder with the state of the economy and the publishing industry. My daughter is near to college time, so my financial worries grow. Searching for where these two conflicting parts of creative life can meet. Here's to balance for all us.

Stephanie said...

I think this is what I envy most about the successful children's authors: they have no financial worries so their work can come as it is inspired, not because a tuition payment is due. Perhaps one day we can look back as we count our money....;)

Mark said...

Christy, I concur with your thoughts about part-time employment--for me, it strikes just the right balance between being out on the world (and making money) while still having time to work on projects. Here's hoping your stockpile of projects remains large so you can keep focused and produce your fine art!

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
I love your analogy and wish you a hearty harvest in the next seasons!

David LaRochelle said...

As a single person, I'm amazed at all of you folks who have to juggle the financial needs of raising kids while trying to be creative. It's hard enough when all I have to worry about is myself.