Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/22/11

Reading for Work


Or is it work while reading?

I have been blessed with my free-lance writing job, and my jobs teaching at Writers in the Schools and at the Whidbey Island Workshop. These jobs require me to read.

I read for work!

For the January 2012 Directed Reading for the Whidbey MFA program, students will be required to read cross-over books, books published for young adults that adults read and books for adults that young adults read.


Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is in the list. I find it an honest book, a book with a message for all of us. But also a book that every writer should read because of the proportions between authentic dialogue and authentic descriptions, believable characterization, and humor that ends up into us being serious.

I'm telling you, I am blessed because of all of you who write books.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this book! Have you ever listened to the audio version Carmen? Sherman Alexie reads it and it is fantastic. On a car trip two years ago my family and I listened to it twice, it was so good!
We too are blessed to be reading your good books!

Mark said...

I've heard lots of people rave about this book, Carmen, and so it's already on my list -- but hearing your take on how the balanced style can be helpful to writers has induced me to move it higher on my list!

Christy said...

We enjoyed this book in my family too. Alexie is an entertaining speaker if you get a chance to hear him.

Edie Hemingway said...

Carmen,
This book has been on my "to read" list for a long time, and I am now moving it to the top.

Stephanie said...

I love this book!

David LaRochelle said...

I, too, am a fan of this one, and after Lauren's comments, I want to hear the audio version.