Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/14/11

Summer 2011~ Is It Really Over?

I just now sent pdfs of the FINAL art to my editor in San Diego before shipping the art off to New York. It is a good thing I live in the middle of the country where I can easily communicate with both coasts. My summer was spent painting the illustrations for a story written by Mem Fox which will be published next fall with Beach Lane Books. You will hear more about it as that time draws near...

I also spent the summer painting large sets for Circus Juventas' summer show, "GRIMM, Happily Ever After". From castles to cottages, gypsy wagons to tree stumps; all were needed to transport performers and audience into a magical, fairytale world and my brushstroke is apparent on almost every wall. I also write the script for the show and my son Cooper performs with the other amazing kids who dangle and swing from the air or leap 30 feet onto the shoulders of another waiting below. Truly it astounds me, which is why I keep doing it every year. I am already beginning on the script for next summer's show!

With a literary theme like the Brothers Grimm, I was able to link up Circus Juventas with our wonderful local bookshop, The Red Balloon for a Circus Event. For the first time in the store's history there were contortionists, jugglers, unicyclists, and chair-stackers performing, and of course Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm to lead the way. Whenever I do an event at the Red Balloon Bookshop, I get the honor of painting their window. This summer's image was a hats off to GRIMM and was inspired by the circus paintings of some of my favorite artists. Look closely and you will see references to Picasso, Chagall, and Seurat.

Like fellow Potato, David LaRochelle, I was honored to be "Author of the Day" at the Alphabet Forest~ a wonderful haven for literacy created by the author, Debra Frasier, at the Minnesota State Fair. Celebrating my book, FOLD ME A POEM, written by Kristine O'Connell George, I spent 8 hours folding origami animals with Fair visitors- and since everything at the fair is on a stick, we put our origami on a stick, which made for some very fun puppet shows!

And one of my favorite memories of this past summer was a gathering of six of us potatoes in Maryland for a SCBWI conference that kept us all busy sharing our experiences and creative spirits with attendees as well as with each other. I was fortunate to travel with both David LaRochelle and John Coy to and from Maryland and let me tell you... if you ever need help getting through the red-tape and chaos of an airport in bad weather, bring John Coy along~ what a master communicator!

It hardly feels like summer is truly over, though I hear we are supposed to go below freezing tonight, thus I better cover my tomatoes! Yes... I found time to garden too, though the weeds have more energy than me!

9 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren,
What a creative summer you have had! And I am so happy I was one small part of that. I'd love to see the sets you painted for Circus Juventas up close, and I look forward to your Mem Fox book.

Kelly McManus (OAM's Creative Director) said...

Lauren, it's so exciting to hear that your illustrations are off to NYC - I know how long and hard you've been working on them... And reading all the potato posts leaves me thinking how hard you all work and how hard you play too. Well done! Inspirational.

Christy said...

Wow, Lauren. I'm in awe.

Lauren said...

Thanks Kelly, they are almost on their way to NYC! And you are right about all the hard-working potatoes, but I suppose it takes one to know one. (I am not calling you a potato!) And Edie, I would love it if you came to Circus one year-- how was Cirque?

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren,
The cirque du soleil was amazing, although I didn't think the story line was as strong or as easy to follow as it could have been. Would love to see the Circus Juventas, especially with such young talented performers!

Diane Adams said...

Lauren,
I loved hearing about your summer!! So many avenues of creativity and productivity!

Lauren said...

Thanks Diane and Christy~ Edie, I have only seen two Cirque shows and was disappointed in the story line for both, though the idea or spectacle was spectacular. Since I am the script writer, I would like to think that Circus Juventas shows have a stronger storyline~ :) Many people in the audience remark that they prefer Circus Juventas to Cirque because of the young performer part as well as a sense of more intimacy. The audience is much closer to the performers.
The temperatures have nearly reached freezing the past 2 nights, so I guess summer is truly over.

David LaRochelle said...

Such an inspiring summer, Lauren. I don't know how you manage to do all you do. I'm sorry that I missed this year's Circus Juventas production as they always leave me filled with creative energy. I, too, look forward to seeing your Mem Fox book - and I second what you said about traveling with John...he's a man who gets things done and I was SO grateful he was there to take charge when I travel plans went into disarray!

betsy woods said...

Oh Lauren, your work is so lovely! The wonderful bit of summer we shared at the workshop was a gift.