Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/25/11

What I just finished and What I am currently Reading...

I have just finished reading SPARROW ROAD, a new middle grade novel by the author, Sheila O'Connor. It is her first middle grad novel. She has published two adult novels that are brilliant. Sparrow Road takes place over a summer at an artist's colony somewhere in the midwest. Raine, the 12 year old main character, meets artists and writers, a composer, and even a spirit of an orphan boy who used to live there when the artist colony was an orphanage. The blend of writing, visual arts, history of the colony and Raine's own mysterious past make for one of the most colorful, heartfelt books I have read in a long time. I cannot recommend it enough!
Currently I am reading THE FAR CRY, by Emma Smith. It is one of the Persephone books-- a publisher I recently discovered and am completely in love with. This wonderful tale begins in England, post WWII and follows a 14 year old Theresa on a boat journey to India. When the boat docks at Bombay, Smith's descriptions of not only the visuals, but also the emotional intensity of her main character brings this world alive so vividly, I cannot stop reading it-- but I have a book deadline and it is killing me!

5 comments:

Mark said...

I love books about artists, Lauren. Thanks for the recommendation!

Christy said...

Definitely adding this to my list. Thanks for the great description,

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren,
I love the Cover of SPARROW ROAD--definitely draws me in, as does your description of THE FAR CRY.

David LaRochelle said...

I am very excited for Sheila and her first YA book! I've gotten to know her over the years at young authors conferences. I'm so glad her book is getting such a positive response!

Stephanie said...

I love that cover, and it sounds like a great read.