Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/9/11

Penguins in Love


My vote for favorite literary couple is another nontraditional animal pairing. In AND TANGO MAKES THREE, Roy and Silo, two male penguins, build a nest together and in vain try to hatch an egg. When an observant zookeeper notices a nest with an extra egg, he places it in Roy and Silo's nest, and the two hatch a baby penguin of their own. Based on an actual incident, it's a story about families and diversity. It's also a story that I wish had been available to me when I was growing up.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I've heard a lot about this book, but never actually seen it. I know it is based on a true story, because at the same time this book was acquired, a gay friend also pitched a picture book about this penguin pair. It has resonated for many. It is a shame that similar books were not available sooner, but perhaps there is a little comfort in seeing progress toward change.

Stephanie said...

I love that book, it truly is a love story.

Lauren said...

I have this book at home and cherish it. And I love that it is based on a true story! Great choice David! Happy Valentines!

Edie Hemingway said...

I haven't seen this book yet myself, but now I'm definitely getting it from the library on my next trip!